Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinn P Foil Beginner Observations

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Shinn P Foil Beginner Observations

Postby gl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:22 am

I have had about 6 sessions on the P foil and larger Jackson board strapless. Prior to that I had about the same number of session on the original Liquid Force foil on the Foil Fish board. I liked the liquid force but I like the P foil much more as it is so much easier to use and so stable. Where I kite the water is shallow out a long way and as a result I have used only the 40 cm and 60 cm masts. It is so easy to control the height that I can foil on the 40 cm mast for extended periods with out breaching and the raised back stabilizer makes a sound to warn me if I am starting to get to high so I have time to drop it down a bit. With the 60 cm mast I almost never breach. My skills are limited at this point but I am having a huge amount of fun in conditions I would normally not even bother trying to kite in. I had read a lot before doing any purchases and the reoccurring theme seems to be the shorter masts are not much fun. I have found just the opposite. Even riding with the board in the water the short mast allows me to travel high upwind and kite in conditions I would normally have trouble holding ground and all while using a kite size down. I am not saying that the long masts are not better and easier once you learn how to do it but rather you can really enjoy the short masts and shallow water and still get great performance and high upwind without being punished. I highly recommend the Jackson and P foil as a really user friendly option.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Re: Shinn P Foil Beginner Observations

Postby UKSurf » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Did you use the full length mast on the LF Foil? I have found the 60cm is alot easier.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:07 pm

No I never used the full length mast on the Liquid Force. I used both a 40 and 60 cm only. Again this was because of the shallow water and because it reduced the height of the falls while learning.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Makes me happy since the Jackson and 60 p is my setup and I’m hoping to try this weekend

Return to “Hydrofoil”