Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First foil - Slingshot hoverglide ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First foil - Slingshot hoverglide ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 pm

My friend Brian out yesterday here, for the 4th time only - but as you can see he LOVES it, on the hoverglide !

I get happy seeing how happy he is ha haa :rollgrin:

8) PF

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Adding more info
Alysum wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 am
I'm aware that it's quite a heavy setup, much like the Cabrinha Double agent which I can get used for a good price (although I've read that it's a dud outdated and slow foil).
It depends a lot what are you going to want to do with your foil. If speed is your passion, then you'd like higher aspect wings and in "aluminum grade" class the Hoverglide would be faster. Don't expect to be able to ride it in very light winds or with much smaller kite though.
However, if you're looking for Greg Drexler style of riding - getting onto foil upon first kite dive in very little wind, being able to almost stop in transitions, ride a smaller kite - then low aspect wing is a key, and the Double agent or Foilfish would deliver way more fun.

You're going to need a short mast only for shallow waters (hips deep), learning to ride on long mast will "cost" you couple of extra sessions and falling is inevitable for either.

Carbon is not much more expensive - for extra $300 you can have a carbon setup like Moses Fluente. Pick 633/483 wings for ultimate lightwind, 590/330 for smooth and slower cruising, 558/330 for going fast.

91cm mast which fit either of those and you'll be in love with "neverending jump feeling" which foil delivers. Something in between McFly's hoverboard and Magic Carpet. Except neither Aladdin nor McFly had such epic wipeouts on their gear. Remember to pull the bar and fall as far downwind of foil as you can when learning,

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies !

I think I will bite the bullet go for an used one. I'm not looking for speed, just the shortest learning curve with the short masts then upgrade if I like it.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 pm
My friend Brian out yesterday here, for the 4th time only - but as you can see he LOVES it, on the hoverglide !

I get happy seeing how happy he is ha haa :rollgrin:

8) PF
Great video and very funny too. I think we've all been there :lol: .

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm getting ready to buy my first foil setup and looking at this setup.
I've been lucky enough to bum rides off friends and am getting some long runs up on the foil.
Will get the flight school masts as I'll be primarily riding in Hatteras.

What do people think about adding the H4 wing to the NF2 setup?
Is it worth doing for lighter winds and learning transitions?

Any reason to consider some other setup?
The only one I've been considering is the Zeeko, possibly spitfire with the XLW wings but it is not available locally.

Thanks
Tony

Return to “Hydrofoil”