Forum for snow- and landkiters
dutchy
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowkiting in the northwest of New Mexico

Postby dutchy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi y'all,

I'll be travelling to the northwest of New Mexico late February and am looking for some advice where to spend my spare time. I'd love to go snow kiting, what are the better spots around the area? I prefer something flat/ hilly to do some backcountry cruising. Mind you I'm from Europe and have been snowkiting in the Alps before, but haven't got the slightest idea where to ride in New Mexico / Colorado. Most of the info I found was a few years old.

Also, my wife will be flying in from Texas for a weekend (either to Albuquerque or Denver) and we'd love to go to a ski area as well. Preferably one with a higher altitude, loads of snow and mostly blue/red slopes. What would our best options for skiing in the area be? I don't mind driving from the northwest of New Mexico up to Denver if the roads are any bit accessible that time of year if that gives us a better ski trip!

Thanks!

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: Snowkiting in the northwest of New Mexico

Postby matthepp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Dutchy,
Where in NW NM? We don't have any snow yet in SW Colorado. Hopefully that will all change by February but I may need to invest in some ice skates...

dutchy
Medium Poster

Postby dutchy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Matt, Is it common for the snow to be this late? I'll be near Farmington NM. I've heard good things on the Brazos pass along US-64 near mile marker 198. For skiing, we'll most likely pick Santa Fe as this is close to Albuquerque and the logistics work out really well for us there, we can hit it on the way back to Texas.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Hey dutchy, most years we are kiting powder by now. Touch base before your trip and I'll get you an update. I've wanted to check out Brazos too but have a hard time driving past all the good spots along the way without stopping! There are a few spots in Colorado north of Farmington with 2 hrs. Roadside at Lizard Head, thermal at Lemon Reservoir, backcountry on Red Mountain Pass and Molas pass (skin required). Bring your water board and you could even water kite at the Morgue hot tub same day!

dutchy
Medium Poster

Postby dutchy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi Matt, thanks! I'll definitely be in touch via PM before my trip to check on the local conditions. Hopefully there will be loads of snow and time for me to get a session in. :)

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Hey Matt keep me in the loop with Dutchy. I would be interested in joining you.

Return to “Snow / Land”