Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice on foil kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigcane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Advice on foil kite

Postby bigcane » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 am

Foiling in the 7 to 12 knot range is my favourite condition. You need a 13 or 15 race kite, Sonic 2 or R1V2 (used is fine). An 11m with 20m lines can also be made to work for freeriding in lightwind but is more difficult. A bigger front wing does not really help as the dragginess cancels the benefit of a fast kite. To me it it important to match kites to wings: big and slow should be used with tube kites, race kites used with fast wings. Since you can't really use tube kites in light winds then you are left with the fast option. I would say the new Moses 637 wing should be great for lightwind freeriding with a fast foilkite

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 pm

bigcane wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 am
Foiling in the 7 to 12 knot range is my favourite condition. You need a 13 or 15 race kite, Sonic 2 or R1V2 (used is fine). An 11m with 20m lines can also be made to work for freeriding in lightwind but is more difficult. A bigger front wing does not really help as the dragginess cancels the benefit of a fast kite. To me it it important to match kites to wings: big and slow should be used with tube kites, race kites used with fast wings. Since you can't really use tube kites in light winds then you are left with the fast option. I would say the new Moses 637 wing should be great for lightwind freeriding with a fast foilkite
In my opinion, the perfect kite for foiling in 7-12 knots is the Concept Air Pulsion 12. The size of your wing won't matter.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Ok i hear what you guys are saying.
If I get a foil to replace my 12m LEI, get a 12m foil and I'll get a bit more low-end and some more speed.
14knots plus I can use the 9m LEI.

As first foil kite don't get a 9.

I'm not interested in hydrofoiling in sub 10 knots due to the fact that it's not often stable at that speed where I live. We don't have thermals very often, flat cold place.

There's a 12m Chrono v1 from 2015 with upgraded speed system to the stronger version, including race bar for 500 euros for sale in my country...
What do you think?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Bridle lines shrink asymmetrically. More in the back, less in the fronts. It can be fixed but takes time thought and effort. This is the biggest hassle of a foil kite IMO. It requires more thinking but less work than patching bladders and re-gluing valves. A well used foil kite might discourage you the entire foil kite experience.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Hmmm Tom, after reading this I am not so sure it is the right choice for you, based on my experience viewing how others "do" around here... :roll:

For me, a 12 m2 would only be used in 2-3 m/s wind, and definitely too much for me when 4, so not possible to make tight fun turns anymore (only if you shorten the lines, yes, but then it can not be used in less than 3 m/s)

So a 9 or 10 m2 is a good choice for a "one foilkite" to fill the largest possible windrange IMO, just as you were thinking.

Dont forget, most that uses foilkites like to ride powered and go fast (not all, but definitely far most), and doing carves back and fourth in chop waves is not their thing :wink:

These kites got a good upper end too indeed, but not if you want to play around, where too lazy.
Their ultimate low end is far better because of their powerspike.

You might love foilkites, when you get one and learn to ride it (it is NOT like you are used to, at all), or you will hate it and sell it again - time will tell :naughty:

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll not buy one now.
Wait till next year, see if I can demo one, or try an Airush Ultra that I can demo locally.

GCKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Navarre Fl.
Style: Old style, waves, endless downwinders
Gear: Slingshot, Flysurfer, LF foil fish, Airush, Moses fluente
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GCKiter » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:10 pm

I’ve made the purchase Tom of a 18m Spd4lotus and 10m Diablo as my first foil kites to try. I’ve enjoyed using both of them along with my quiver of Lei kites. It’s seems to come to what is your personal preference and what are your water and wind conditions where you kite most of the time. You make a good point about changing out wings also. I have the Fluente foil like you with the 550 and 330 wings so I think I may look into adding a 590 and maybe a 325 to see how that compliments my foiling. Good luck in your progression.

Return to “Hydrofoil”