Over-powered on big wings

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Over-powered on big wings

Postby NYKiter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 pm

Finding that the 633 is like a jack hammer up into the feet when overpowered...especially on ratty frontal winds with wide ranges...been on a 5m a lot this winter in 25+ knot winds...

Just ordered up the 683...anyone move down in wing size for this reason?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Over-powered on big wings

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:06 am

Smaller kite! Plus think about backing the atab aoa off. That will make it looser to ride and far less front foot pressure.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
Foil (Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 am

NYKiter wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 pm
Finding that the 633 is like a jack hammer up into the feet when overpowered...especially on ratty frontal winds with wide ranges...been on a 5m a lot this winter in 25+ knot winds...

Just ordered up the 683...anyone move down in wing size for this reason?

Hmmm, yes indeed.

But I think your issue is you are using WAY too big a kite in 25+ knots, and not the wing itself.

In +25 knots you should be using a 3-4 m2 kite max, if you want to surf.

If you dont want these sizes, yes indeed a smaller wing could be the solution.

I also change down in size anyways when a lot of wind, so having at two wing sizes makes a lot of sense :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Foil (Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:15 am)

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Yea, hearing this from by buddies....too much kite....Tx

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 am

This is a hot topic for me at the moment, and it is really giving me problems trying to find the right solution,
Frank above is tempting me to maybe buy a smaller kite, but I have to remember I am maybe 25 kg heavier than Frank and I may find if I drop kite size just 1mtr too much, it may be just to small to lift me up,

My messing around a few days ago in lighter winds with the small stabiliser really brought it home to me how easy it is to dramatically reduce wing lift at the expense of stability, which I am thinking is not really what I want in rough neck high, close quick waves, now I have tried this loose feel in lighter airs.

So I am now thinking is my answer is to simply move my mast back as the wind increases?
which will maybe sufficiency reduce the hard hitting lift and smooth out the ride without loosing overall stability, which to be honest the smooth stability is a big part of the overall charm of the 633 set up for me,giving me confidence to mix it up in the swell and waves and go kite loop crazy and push for speed where possible or slam on the brakes then release for hard fast turns.

And if this is a fix for my problem then its a very cheap one.
A big expense but maybe necessary, is taking Franks advice and buy a smaller kite, but I would only drop down to a 5mtr from my beloved 6mtr, anything smaller seems just too tiny for my weight.

Its very windy a quite wavy later today so backing off the mast position from my standard setting is going to happen for the first time,
it may be the answer or just part of the solution.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:40 am

Foil wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 am
This is a hot topic for me at the moment, and it is really giving me problems trying to find the right solution,
Frank above is tempting me to maybe buy a smaller kite, but I have to remember I am maybe 25 kg heavier than Frank and I may find if I drop kite size just 1mtr too much, it may be just to small to lift me up,

My messing around a few days ago in lighter winds with the small stabiliser really brought it home to me how easy it is to dramatically reduce wing lift at the expense of stability, which I am thinking is not really what I want in rough neck high, close quick waves, now I have tried this loose feel in lighter airs.

So I am now thinking is my answer is to simply move my mast back as the wind increases?
which will maybe sufficiency reduce the hard hitting lift and smooth out the ride without loosing overall stability, which to be honest the smooth stability is a big part of the overall charm of the 633 set up for me,giving me confidence to mix it up in the swell and waves and go kite loop crazy and push for speed where possible or slam on the brakes then release for hard fast turns.

And if this is a fix for my problem then its a very cheap one.
A big expense but maybe necessary, is taking Franks advice and buy a smaller kite, but I would only drop down to a 5mtr from my beloved 6mtr, anything smaller seems just too tiny for my weight.

Its very windy a quite wavy later today so backing off the mast position from my standard setting is going to happen for the first time,
it may be the answer or just part of the solution.
I can’t see moving mast position based on wind strength as the best solution. It just adjusts things that don’t need adjusting. If overpowered, smaller kite is the most direct solution. There is a big difference between a 6m and a 5 m kite

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:18 pm

We have guys constantly using 5m Neos with the Onda.....which I will be doing more of...

Anyhow, seems like this is the range for the 633 ...up here in our crappy great lakes wind anyways...

12m = 9-13 knots
9m = 13-17 knots
5m = 18-26 knots
3.5m = 27+ knots (kite flies fast as f*ck)

Neo seems better suited to our winds for some reason....smooths out the holes and seems to drift WITH the rider...drifter seems to go behind me a lot....heres my mixed up quiver for the Onda

3.5m Mono
5m Neo
7m Drifter
9m Drifter
12m Mono

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mmac » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:59 pm

That wind range looks about right NYkiter, I get about the same range with my Lift 170 wing. I'm also using Neo's and find them to be great kites for foiling.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Sister just came in for those who havent seen both together.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k3qf1skPePMyRQ3i6

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Get a smaller kite. Changing the foot straps on the won't make any difference.
In 25 knots i'm on a 4m and like to ride powered. I can ride that 4m from 15-16 knots. You won't be under gunned +20 knots on a tiny kite.

or as i said above. Adjust the stabaliser angle. That will allow you to go faster with less front foot pressure and therefore control speed better. But it still wont fix teh issue of too much kite.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
Foil (Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:02 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”