Forum for kitesurfers
lofus
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Repair Busted Leading Edge

Postby lofus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:04 pm

As the wind was dying yesterday I put my kite down and it rolled onto a stick and blew out the leading edge bladder. Talk about a crappy way to end a good session!

The LE now has a tear in it (along the circumfrance) and the bladder is toast. Its a 14m 07 Switchblade that was my favorite kite. I have a kitefix kit and can get a new bladder but I'm wondering if its possible to do a decent repair or if the kite will forever be weak in that spot and will just blow out again if I drop the kite durring a session.

Has anyone had any luck fixing something like this?

Jim

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Re: Repair Busted Leading Edge

Postby Kosh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Yup. Everything is possible. Even a self repair of the LE. Though it takes some time. I'll try to take a photo of my LE. Currently I only have a photo of the bladder and a photo of the repair while still unfinished. The Kitefix is not enough for fixing the LE. You should use some dacron in addition both on the inside and outside, plus stitching the area. I was lucky, the hole was close enough to the opening in the LE so that I could reach the area from inside. It doesnt look nice, but as long as it holds, I'm happy.
Attachments
DSC00188_.jpg
Unfinished repair
DSC00188_.jpg (101.09 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
DSC00186.JPG
Bladder. 75cm hole fixed

kiteriding
Medium Poster

Postby kiteriding » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Sorry, but i am not agree with this .

The Kitefix is not enough for fixing the LE.

KiteFix already fix lot of LE , see the Kill to kite video , with the Fiberfix and after dacron glue with the Glufix , this is no problemo to fix the LE ..

see this video :
http://www.kitefix.com/kiteboarding-repair-video.html

Aloha Wave :-)

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kosh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Possible. But a friend fixed his LE with Kitefix, it worked fine for two sessions until the LE ruptured. Result: A hole a lot bigger than to begin with. Maybe he didnt do it correctly, but he claimed so.

Conclusion: For fixing the LE, Kitefix is nice to have, I used it myself, but it is not always enough. It depends on the size of the hole. If small it may be enough, but a big one..I wouldnt bet on only glue. Stitch the area just to be on the safe side. I have myself experienced what a really hot beach can do to glue...even Aquasure/Urethane.

tradewind
Medium Poster

Postby tradewind » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Get it to a sailmaker used to kiterepairs , takes about 2 -3 hrs to repair and is strong as before ,but needs to be reeinforced and stiched professional , bladder needs a welding . It's a common repair on nearly all brands :-)

the one from kosh looks like home made :)

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kosh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:51 pm

tradewind wrote:Get it to a sailmaker used to kiterepairs , takes about 2 -3 hrs to repair and is strong as before ,but needs to be reeinforced and stiched professional , bladder needs a welding . It's a common repair on nearly all brands :-)

the one from kosh looks like home made :)
The bladder is fixed by me, yes. But 100% airthight. Used Aquasure and bladder material from an old kite. Scotch tape on the inside to keep the edges together before gluing the bladder material on the outside. As long as it works it doesnt matter much (for me atleast), dunno about the second hand value :lol:

tradewind
Medium Poster

Postby tradewind » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:34 am

Kosh ,
if everybody could fix his kite by himself ,like you , that would be fantastic .
kiterepairs are hassle and no $, so kosh you are the perfect client ,just buying kites and repairing them yourself , great :thumb:

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:35 am

Pull all of the bladders out and put that kite in the trash....mine goin in first thing tommorow morning...over it :thumb:

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kosh » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:39 am

tradewind wrote:Kosh ,
if everybody could fix his kite by himself ,like you , that would be fantastic .
kiterepairs are hassle and no $, so kosh you are the perfect client ,just buying kites and repairing them yourself , great :thumb:
Unsure what you mean, people usually pay for getting their kites fixed? Yes? Sounds like you claim that a shop looses money when a kite must be fixed? They may if the warranty covers the damage. But I highly doubt warranty covers fixing a big hole in the LE because of selflanding my kite over a sharp item.
Last edited by Kosh on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lofus
Rare Poster

Postby lofus » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:49 pm

My setiments exactly Kosh. Its my own fault the kite has a hole in it.

After cooling off, I unpacked my kite and inspected the damage. This tear is a little too close to the seam to warrant a kitefix repair. There is definately going to be sewing involved. The bladder is not bad so I think I can patch it. Where did you get the Aquasure?
Kite Tear 1 2009-07-27.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”