Favorite Beaches: texas city Levee, Sherman island california, kite beach Maui
Style: freeride, wake style, wave
Gear: Best, slingshot, crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switch Nitro review?

Postby JBZ » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Is there anyone in the Houston area flying nitros? I really want to try one badly. I am really thinking about getting one in 10 or 12m. I am on a 12m TS and thinking or replacing it with a nitro. I understand they are fairly comparable in flight charistics...anyone have a comparison??? Not 100% happy with my TS...i like it but not quite what i expected. Punishes me if you know what i mean.

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:37 am

Corbett - Yes I "sell" switch kites in the way that if you demo mine and you like it you can use the code switch gives everyone when you make an account and I would get a commision/credit towards free kites. I review lots of gear on the forum such as brokite boards, zap skimboards, etc. that I have nothing do with money wise, this review is honest. I am not in any way profiting off any of the people on this forum who decide to buy switch kites after reading my review as they do not have my code.

The only reason people have to hate on Switch is because they are bringing a high quality product at a lower price which can hurt other companies business, just like how taxi's are hating on the efficient UBER cars that offer a more convenient superior service at a better price. It really is that simple. Don't bash it until you try it! They even have a 30 day return after you use it. If others did not share the same view that this kite really is awesome they would be out of business from all the returns.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:47 am

No-one is 'hating on switch' here. If anything we are trying to put into perspective your 'best ever' kite mantra, especially considering there is some 'profit' advantage for you.

Not that I have anything wrong with this either to be frank. You take the time to introduce others to a kite that might suite them, why shouldn't you get some benefit. No problems from me whatsoever.

I have no affiliation with any brand, just know what I like and also know when someone needs to moderate their claims. Not one person here has rubbished switch, so your comments give me even more evidence to consider your claims as hard to trust to be honest with you.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:11 am

corbett wrote:
nothing2seehere wrote:The switch kites forums has a for sale forum now. Probably your best bet for finding a second hand one.[/quote

Why would Laz be interested in buying second hand when he sells Switch kites already?
Well the OP did say:

Been eyeing this kite but no one has one for me to try in person. Does it have that C-kite feel? From what I have read it has good lowend for a 12 and boosts huge. Looking at the Nitro 2 or 3. Will work fine on the Slingshot RPM bar/lines I assume?

If anyone has one used they are selling message me.

Given that the Nitro 2 and 3 are no longer sold I would say that second hand is a pretty good suggestion. Certainly better than having the forum flooded with requests for kite sales :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:32 pm

laz wrote:The only reason people have to hate on Switch is because they are bringing a high quality product at a lower price which can hurt other companies business. It really is that simple
Or...maybe.... a kiter is under the impression that the kite model that he is flying is the best kite ever made.
This would be the reason for your hating on poor old Slingshot with their Fuel and RPM kites. :(
In the case of somebody like WestOzzy just as an example, I believe he has tried a Switch kite or two and chooses to fly North kites, because he likes the way they fly better.
So, I would not say he hates on Switch, I would say he prefers a North kite currently.
I don't believe he is a dealer and has no financial reason to state a preference for any kite over any other kite.
What is interesting to me, is that kiters who have Switched, feel the need to make posts alleging persecution of that company.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Skip the Nitro 2..........I didn't get along with that kite at all. I did give Switch another chance and bought a Nitro 4 8m and 12m. (NON team rider) They are excellent kites......vastly different from the V2. Never tried the N3. I will say the Nitro 4 has great range, really excellent upwind, jumps better than anything I've tried to date, mid level bar pressure, fast enough turn speed, and great stability. They actually work in gusty conditions too.

Is it the best kite ever? That may be a stretch. But I've flown quite a few kites and I think the Nitro 4 is a legit contender with the best freeride kites out there.

Full disclosure: I haven't flown a Pivot or 2016 Switchblade yet..........so we'll see.

The price on Switch is nice......but I don't care. If there is something better out there I'll pony up and get it. Until then it is great to be riding an excellent kite and have some coin left for trips.

Bottom line - Demo, demo, demo. What works for me, may suck for you. Kites are subjective to preference, feel, and desired performance.

scheme
Rare Poster
Gear: best and epic

Postby scheme » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:09 pm

I have a nitro4 9m and 7m. They DO boost really well. The build quality is as good as any other new kite. I'm into them =).

The 9m flies kinda big. at the low end of its windrange (and it has a decent low end) it is slow. Not unresponsive, just slow moving and slow turning (which isnt necessarily bad for unhooked or popped tricks). However, in the middle and top of its wind range, it is very pleasant - fast enough (but still not a 'fast turning' kite), very direct feeling, instantly responsive (no strange delays). It boosts as well as any kite i've tried. It loops well, but if you're gonna be doing legit kiteloops you'll need to be able to do it when you're quite powered because of how much slower the kite is at bottom of windrange. when you initiate the loop at the right time, it generates a really rewarding amount of lift. same thing when you loop it to land, lots of lift. The kite does not drift downwind well, so if you ride at it very quickly and slack the lines, it will start to kinda fall out of the sky. The fun factor is def in there though - the combination of very boosty kite with responsive and direct bar feel just makes you really like it. The top end is really great too, i've had the 9 out back to back with a '14 8m TS in slightly over 30mph and the 9 was more stable and usable (didnt have that frustrating, jerky overpowered feeling).

I've only had the 7m out once in like 20-30mph (underpowered in the lulls, adequately powered in the gusts) and it was perfect in every way - bar feel/feedback, fast turns and instant response, easy to kiteloop with good drive, very predictable, tons of lift...Ofcourse, it was a 7 and they will all be quick and loop quick, but this one was an absolute joy.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:39 am

I continue to test this kite and you might really say there is nothing like it out there. First jumping is super high but not only that it is also Ckite aggressive. Second hang time super long and if you work the kite left to right it just doesn't want to come down, it feels like flying off the mountain in the winter. Third kite loops similar to Ckite in turning but if you want a mellow floaty loop it is there. I find it perfect for me. I like Chasta style, jumping high with spins and kiteloops. I am new at Airstyle but it is the first kite that gives me enough time up there in less than perfect conditions to take off the board.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 am

Be nice to know what you switch hitters were riding before you made the switch???? And that means more than ten sessions, not a 30 min demo. Direct comparisons would be an added bonus. I'm getting sick of the bullshit. Jumps higher, further and loops harder........ than what????? Compare it to your second favorite kite....... if you have previously owned one.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 am

Do-it wrote:Be nice to know what you switch hitters were riding before you made the switch???? And that means more than ten sessions, not a 30 min demo. Direct comparisons would be an added bonus. I'm getting sick of the bullshit. Jumps higher, further and loops harder........ than what????? Compare it to your second favorite kite....... if you have previously owned one.
It's switch Nitro review not switch vs something else. It's a category on it's own :baby: :cool2: :thumb:
But since you ask I have the chance to test (and buy if I want to at the same price) the major (what is considered top brands) North, cabrinha, slingshot, naish and find switchkites suits me better and the fact that they are made at the same quality or even better. Having said, iI am not married to any brand and I may choose something else in the near future cause I have start using surfboard also....
Any suggestions for something that will boost, loop, float on twin tip but it will also work for onshore conditions on a surfboard?

Return to “Kitesurfing”