Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite fatality in Thailand

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:45 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:11 pm
matth wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm
Sad, RIP :( :( :( :(

knife , knife , knife can't say it enough. And that cheap ass one that comes with your harness should by your second or third choice in an emergency.

Ezzycut is the best, nice little holster , replaceable blades, two sided....gold standard IMO..

https://eezycut.com/
matth,
Which of the holsters do you use and where are you locating it?
The issue i have is that i keep loosing the knifes. I'ev tried several over the years and various different mounting methods. They all have been torn off and lost in crashes. I'm interested to know if anyone has found a secure method of holding a knife.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Maybe a small caribiner attached to a smal loop on the knife . I think I’ll try this .

plummet wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:45 pm
SENDIT! wrote:
matth wrote:

knife , knife , knife can't say it enough. And that cheap ass one that comes with your harness should by your second or third choice in an emergency.

Ezzycut is the best, nice little holster , replaceable blades, two sided....gold standard IMO..

matth,
The issue i have is that i keep loosing the knifes. I'ev tried several over the years and various different mounting methods. They all have been torn off and lost in crashes. I'm interested to know if anyone has found a secure method of holding a knife.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 pm
Maybe a small caribiner attached to a smal loop on the knife . I think I’ll try this .

plummet wrote:
SENDIT! wrote:

matth,
But you need to locate the knife without being able to see it and rip it free in an instant. Having to unclip from a caribiner while your getting dragged underwater at high speed wont work!

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Try to avoid using carabiners if they do not lock. Last thing you want is for your knife carabiner to catch a line. I have been very happy that the newer safety leashes have guards that slide over the carabiners to prevent this from happening.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 am

This a horrible story and my heart goes out to the man’s family and friends. No one deserves a lesson like that.

Some general points:

With respect to blades on the water, they are vastly overrated. The risk of further aggravating things while thrashing away at tangled lines is very real. Like getting a gun thinking you’ll just ice the next burglar because you took a few hours at the shooting range. Simply bringing a blade doesn’t really do much. Most don’t even work if you’re not methodical about going one line at a time. Not exactly something most people are capable of when fighting with their last breath. If you go out there thinking, “I got my knife, it’s all good” you will be in trouble. Do not rely on your pissy little blade to be the last line of defense.

First, your only fail safe is your brain so do listen when that little voice inside isn’t 100% sure. Second, plan plan and plan if you’re somewhere unfamiliar like on a vacation. Third, the only way you mitigate risk completely is by choosing another hobby/sport. Never forget that. I usually go out by myself early mornings and it’s with the knowledge that anything can happen when I’ve got no one else around. I live in Scandinavia where a ruptured drysuit can get you killed pretty quick this time of year. The list of possible shit scenarios is longer here than most places and the last thing I want with me is a knife of any kind.

With respect to jammed QRs: Rotor/Twist QR is the only truly safe QR system. Whether the industry wakes up to this fact, only time will tell. Science is science.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:45 am

plummet wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 pm
windrider1 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 pm

plummet wrote:

But you need to locate the knife without being able to see it and rip it free in an instant. Having to unclip from a caribiner while your getting dragged underwater at high speed wont work!
The ezzycut have an awesome holster that has a loop on the back so you can attach to your harness strap. The knife has a two inch soft handle that flips up from its velcro locked position. I always have mine flipped up so I can grab it in a split second. Thankfully the knife is very snug in the holster even in the open position and there is no chance of it poping out.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 am

SENDIT! wrote:
matth wrote:

matth,

https://eezycut.com/product-category/ee ... cessories/

I use the Harness Pouch(SEEN IN LINK ABOVE) on my seat harness. It is placed to the side of my spreader bar...

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 am

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 am
This a horrible story and my heart goes out to the man’s family and friends. No one deserves a lesson like that.

Some general points:

With respect to blades on the water, they are vastly overrated. The risk of further aggravating things while thrashing away at tangled lines is very real. Like getting a gun thinking you’ll just ice the next burglar because you took a few hours at the shooting range. Simply bringing a blade doesn’t really do much. Most don’t even work if you’re not methodical about going one line at a time. Not exactly something most people are capable of when fighting with their last breath. If you go out there thinking, “I got my knife, it’s all good” you will be in trouble. Do not rely on your pissy little blade to be the last line of defense.

First, your only fail safe is your brain so do listen when that little voice inside isn’t 100% sure. Second, plan plan and plan if you’re somewhere unfamiliar like on a vacation. Third, the only way you mitigate risk completely is by choosing another hobby/sport. Never forget that. I usually go out by myself early mornings and it’s with the knowledge that anything can happen when I’ve got no one else around. I live in Scandinavia where a ruptured drysuit can get you killed pretty quick this time of year. The list of possible shit scenarios is longer here than most places and the last thing I want with me is a knife of any kind.

With respect to jammed QRs: Rotor/Twist QR is the only truly safe QR system. Whether the industry wakes up to this fact, only time will tell. Science is science.

It's better to have a gun and not need it , Than to need a gun and not have it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:08 am

matth wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 am
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 am

Some general points:

It's better to have a gun and not need it , Than to need a gun and not have it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This a statement made only by those who fail at basic mathematics. Good luck..

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:22 am

There is no assurance that you will save your life with a hook knife but it might help. There is total certainty that if you fail to have one with you in a tangle emergency, it will do you no good whatsoever. I was once snagged by a fish hook on a tensioned line. I was happy to slice the line in bare seconds. It has received regular use for many years in lesser instances. Here was a case, viewtopic.php?t=2316197 , in which a guy saved himself by cutting free while being dragged along for extended periods underwater by wave power acting his kite.

I bought an https://eezycut.com/ a while back. It comes with two very sharp blades for effective cutting. There is one key thing about it that I don't like, your finger can fit between the guards and suffer a bad cut. I have tried to avoid hook knives over the years which would allow a finger cut. I have been using the longer paragliding hook knives, see below, for sometime with good performance. The guards are wide enough and dual blades sharp enough to cut bridle, braided spectra and even Q Line. You need to think carefully about where you would put this for easy rapid access with one hand while not creating a new tangle hazard. Some have inserted the knives inside their spreader bar pad which should allow easy one handed access. I agree with not using carbiners which can capture line while kiting .

http://www.chutingstar.com/jack-the-ripper-hook-knife

Return to “Kitesurfing”