Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:50 pm

Hi guy,
Test it first, definately.
If you want to be sure it works and also understand the system, before you fly the kite, attach the ends of the lines to a fixed pole, then attach the leash to your harness and try releasing the bar. the bar and the other three lines should be free to run one full kite length along the leashed line.
Like the above poster said, when the lines are under tension, on the pole or with the kite flying, the leashed ring is trapped by the other ring and all lines should be equal and the kite should fly well. When you let go of the bar, the kite flies away and the only line still attached to you is the one on the leash so the kite flaps depowered downwind.
After you've tried it without the kite, try it in shallow water on a calm day, les than 10 knots, that way if it don't work, no big deal.
Don't hook/shackle in on land, or fly the kite at zenith or in gusty winds while hooked/shackled in, this is asking to be lofted, the major cause of fatality in this sport. Se "Fatality in SA" post, and unfortunately there are many others. This can even happen in relatively light winds.
If you haven't already taken a few leasons I really would advise you to.
I taught myself, skiing, snowboarding, windsurfing, surfing and loads of other sports but took leasons to start kiteboarding. It really is a whole other ballgame, it can be a load of fun, but it can also get very nasty, very fast, right from the word go.
Stay safe and let us know how you get on.
Jo

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:10 pm

The leash should be deployed from zenith when using an inflatable, but if you're going to fly the kite to the edge of the window and deploy the leash, make sure the kite is flown to the side (left or right) that will position the kite with the leash attached to the front line that's closest to the ground. This will minimalize additional winds catching the kite and throwing it around. I didn't see these points posted (sorry if they were)...

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

headhunter
Rare Poster

Postby headhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:47 pm

thanks I will do it tommorow.

:wink:

WildThang
Medium Poster

Postby WildThang » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:03 pm

At the risk of going off on a lil tangent, I was wondering if anyone had good advice as to how to reach your bar after you release to the kite-leash?

Using a sliding leash system, I think it's kinda risky to pull a spans worth of line in to get to your bar. If you can get to it this way, then what do you do. All that loose line is dangerous-especially if you have stock lines vs lines like Q-power.

-Eric

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:00 pm

i have had to to this it seems ify,but really its no big deal when the kite is fully flat and in the water you organize the slack as you reel in the bar,then pay it out at your own pace, as you get close to normal there is not that much line left! no biggy!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fokiten on 2002-10-19 21:01 ]</font>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:00 pm

Yeah I totally agree.. just make sure you don't get tangled in that loose line... but even if you DO get tangled... just let go of the bar again and the kite will stay fully depowered....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”