Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Controling Resin Flow Vacuum Process

Postby gbgreen59 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:51 pm

As I now have one vacuum baggin experience behind me, I am wondering what people normally use for the release material in the vacuum bagging set-up. I used perforated film instead of release fabric. Plus I am using slow hardener (West Epoxy). Do most people use the release fabric? I was afraid the fabric would allow too much resin to be removed during the vacuum process. However, it seems that not enough resin wicked off when I used the release film. On the other hand, it took me quite a while to get everything set up, since it was my first time. So, the epoxy did not have as much time to wick off before it started to set.

Toesidereefer
Frequent Poster

Postby Toesidereefer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:36 am

I just tried using release film (rayon) and then put the perforated release (thin plastic) over that and then the breather. I was surprised at how well it came out. I've been trying to control pin holes by altering my vacuum pressure with poor results.

I tried the technique of the preforated release only and the glass was too saturated with resin even at 23 hg. I had an idea to reduce my total resin amount and to wet the glass just enough to get it wet out but with no extra and then use the perforated release but I haven't given it a go yet. My logic is to save on resin, release film and pin holes.

EH
Rare Poster

Postby EH » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:12 pm

The release fabric is key if you want to get rid of the extra resin (making the board lighter) Here is one link on where to get it http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/fi ... g.Supplies. They also have all the vac bag supplies. When you vac. bag you don't need as much epoxy as you would if you were just laying up the board, this means you save money because epoxy is expensive. Another method you can use is poly sheeting, this will not wick out any resin but it will give a shinny glossy finish to the epoxy, which is great if you don't want to paint the board.

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbgreen59 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks for the responses. I got some release fabric that I am going to use on my next board. I will be bagging it within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Gear Builders”