A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Go Foil powered by a kite for waveriding

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:48 am

Anyone tried this?

It should allow you to kite with a very small kite size and at wave speed.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: GO FOIL powered by a kite for waveriding

Postby rightguard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:28 am

I'm sure it's not what you mean but I ride the gofoil... but it's his kite foil not the SUP foil

HendrikVdP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cadzand-bad Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach el gouna Egypt
Style: freestyle
Gear: north vegas '10 7m
north vegas '08 9&12m²
undergound flx 132

Postby HendrikVdP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:56 am

Gunnar does it, he commented in another topic and it also intrigued me :)

Just wait for his reply and he'll tell you how and why ;)

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 am

Yes. Basically using a SurfFoil like the GOFoil is great in waves. It's is basically like going from using twin tips to using Surfboards in waves. It's just so much easier and more intuitive.

Gunnar

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Re: Go Foil powered by a kite for waveriding

Postby ulx » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:15 pm

I am waiting to use my Takuma surf foil with a kite. I suppose it might work very well. But I haven´t tried the foil yet unfortunately.

I have not unhooked with a surfboard (or otherwise) for years but have been thinking that with such a huge foil it might actually be fun to ride it with a tiny kite unhooked. I guess I will give that a try, too. I just have to remember to take my hook-harness with me to the beach then.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 pm

ulx wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:15 pm
I am waiting to use my Takuma surf foil with a kite. I suppose it might work very well. But I haven´t tried the foil yet unfortunately.

I have not unhooked with a surfboard (or otherwise) for years but have been thinking that with such a huge foil it might actually be fun to ride it with a tiny kite unhooked. I guess I will give that a try, too. I just have to remember to take my hook-harness with me to the beach then.
The Takuma works great with a kite. We do our teaching on these. So easy and smooth. Everyone learns. Unhooked down the line is really fun, but sketchy as the winds you normally will be wave foiling in a re quite light, and most kites wont like being unhooked and drifting down the line that underpowered.

--
Gunnar

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:33 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 pm
(...) and most kites wont like being unhooked and drifting down the line that underpowered.
Gunnar, would you have a few recent kites in mind that are OK with drifting unhooked underpowered in low wind ?
Are mostly "wave kites" designed to drift naturally the best candidates for this ?
F-one in 2010 released the Source a 2-line sup kite ... without much success.
Maybe is it time for this type of kite now ? The vid really starts at 1:24
Perfect for foil teaching, at 5:04 water relaunch is the "old way" , as during the "pre-bow" era... :o

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 pm

No. The Source type kite will not do it either.

You are also misunderstanding what I am saying. Modern Wave kites will drift with just fine ridden down the line on a surf foil when hooked in and you can trimm the angle of attack to keep the kite from backstalling during bottom turns or sections where you are heading towards the kite. When unhooked you do not have that option and are very likely to drop the kite.

--
Gunnar

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 pm

You are also misunderstanding what I am saying. Modern Wave kites will drift with just fine ridden down the line on a surf foil when hooked in and you can trimm the angle of attack to keep the kite from backstalling during bottom turns or sections where you are heading towards the kite. When unhooked you do not have that option and are very likely to drop the kite.

--re
Gunnar
My understanding is that unhooked wave riding was more of a thing before there were kites with effective depower. If you had a kite with constant pull, to ride the wave without the kite's power you'd unhook, then hook back in once finished surfing. But now that kites are designed to turn off power and drift, not really much need to unhook (though I am sure some riders still do, just for fun or to get 90% depower to 100%).

GoFoil: it sounds to me like this is going to be the next "wave" in foiling. As somebody noted in previous thread, foiling seems to be coming full circle in reverting back to large surface area low aspect wings designed to lift in very slow speeds. This should allow something more towards surfing, because if you are outrunning the wave's speed, you can really ride the wave. I thought the canard was going to be the answer for surf oriented foiling, but the feedback seems to be that the higher speeds needed negate much of the benefits (though the tight carving rear foot bias is awesome). Maybe the next gen larger canard wings will do it, we'll see. For now, I'd sure like to try the go wings....what would be super cool is a single foil that could be attached to sup, surfboard, or kiteboard, for maximum cross platform play time potential. :thumb:

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:10 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 pm

--re
Gunnar
My understanding is that unhooked wave riding was more of a thing before there were kites with effective depower. If you had a kite with constant pull, to ride the wave without the kite's power you'd unhook, then hook back in once finished surfing. But now that kites are designed to turn off power and drift, not really much need to unhook (though I am sure some riders still do, just for fun or to get 90% depower to 100%).

GoFoil: it sounds to me like this is going to be the next "wave" in foiling. As somebody noted in previous thread, foiling seems to be coming full circle in reverting back to large surface area low aspect wings designed to lift in very slow speeds. This should allow something more towards surfing, because if you are outrunning the wave's speed, you can really ride the wave. I thought the canard was going to be the answer for surf oriented foiling, but the feedback seems to be that the higher speeds needed negate much of the benefits (though the tight carving rear foot bias is awesome). Maybe the next gen larger canard wings will do it, we'll see. For now, I'd sure like to try the go wings....what would be super cool is a single foil that could be attached to sup, surfboard, or kiteboard, for maximum cross platform play time potential. :thumb:
That already exists. We sell the Takuma Concept V100 foil for exactly this reason.

It is fun to kite, SUP and Surf with. Yesterday I witnessed one of my recent KiteFoil students paddle a wave with a old 2007 Cabrinha 5'9" Waveboard and get up foiling on it. This was his first session surf foiling and 3rd session foiling overall.

The cool thing about the Alumast on this, is that it is modular and you can put any length up to a meter on this foil. although I am happy with 65cm for Kite Wave foiling.

As it's a plate system foil, you can easily mount it on anything you want.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Hydrofoil”